Passing Basics
Beginner
20 Styczeń 2014
QNAP
TS-x59 Pro II
Ethernet
40 GbE
Hi All,

Firstly I am sorry for re-posting this question, I posted it in "Virtualization of servers and clusters" but i did not get any replies, I believe its because it was the wrong forum.

So here i go againhttps://forum.qnap.net.pl/qnap/wirtualizacja/

I need understanding these VM's on a Qnap.
I'm interested in the new Qnap tvs-1282 - i7 - 32gb with a 450watt PSU which I can also add a full desktop GPU.

I need to know would a Windows 10 64bit VM on a QNAP be able to replace a Intel NUC d54250wyk mini desktop?

I use my Intel NUC for Kodi and general tasks like internet browsing, YouTube etc, the biggest program would be Photoshop for light video editing.

If a Desktop GPU is added to the NAS can you do light gaming (dirt 3) on a VM? I understand each VM has a set number of cores from the CPU assigned to it so not sure if this would effect NAS performance.

In all I hope the Qnap TVS-1282 could run 1 x Windows VM for regular everyday use like a PC, and 1 x Linux VM to run rtorrent, Couchpotato etc for all downloading needs, and lastly work like an everyday NAS

Sorry for all the questions, but this unit is like $3000 so i need to be sure it would totally replace my NUC

Thanks

I use my Intel NUC for Kodi and general tasks like internet browsing, YouTube etc
That's nothing for that machine (QNAP)!

biggest program would be Photoshop for light video editing.
Not a problem - as I know @badziewiak is doing more complicated things on QNAP - but extra GPU card with passtrough to that VM will be more then required, to offload CPU.

If a Desktop GPU is added to the NAS can you do light gaming (dirt 3) on a VM?
Imho, it's really good question, personally i'm against it, but something tells me it will run, but again that must (doh) be Windows (as above).

In all I hope the Qnap TVS-1282 could run 1 x Windows VM for regular everyday use like a PC, and 1 x Linux VM to run rtorrent, Couchpotato etc for all downloading needs, and lastly work like an everyday NAS

it's breeze for it - look at my 453Pro unit charged with 8 Gb of RAM:
Installed apps #1:
upload_2016-6-14_23-41-28.png

Apps#2:
upload_2016-6-14_23-41-55.png

and some usage sshot:
upload_2016-6-14_23-42-48.png

I pushed some apps on VMs to refresh data from - load of CPU:
upload_2016-6-14_23-45-39.png

upload_2016-6-14_23-45-54.png

the CPU is bored.

Some actually running VMs:

upload_2016-6-14_23-47-34.png

Check up memory usage inside Virtualization Station, it's 40%. All basic VM's got 1 GB of RAM, they do not need more.
Some pics from Win7 VM:

upload_2016-6-14_23-49-33.png

it's perfomance tab on task manager, ram is loaded on 73% and two cpu's are bored (ZzzZzzzzZZZZZ).
That machine runs utorrent (Did i tell you i'm lazy ? :> ), uses data shared from QNAP's share and some card farming for steam games.

upload_2016-6-14_23-52-25.png

Another VM:
upload_2016-6-14_23-53-45.png

It's just Ubuntu running on 8,5 Gb HDD, all data is hosted on QNAP shares (connected via CIFS/SMB).
Here runs SickGear and few other apps.
RAM is well used:
upload_2016-6-14_23-56-43.png

If i were to run rtorrent here, i'd put 4 GB of RAM there.

Some screens from monitoring app (netdata):
upload_2016-6-14_23-58-25.png

upload_2016-6-14_23-58-50.png

And my CPU Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J1900 @ 1.99GHz is still bored ! ;)

Almost forgot to mention temps:
upload_2016-6-15_0-2-59.png

I cannot hear fan, i must put an ear near NAS to actually hear that (afaik it's stock fan, although NAS is regulary cleaned from dust).

Still not convinced ? Drop message here.

Still not convinced ? Drop message here.

WOOOOW!!! What an answer!!!

I though nobody was going to get a reply, but @pigers this is unbelievable. This is the 2nd time you have replied to my questions, and just like the last question, your answer was more than i could ever ask for.

I'm so excited about VM's, it means i can sell my HTPC (NUC) and use my NAS as my HTPC instead, plus i can access it 24/7 remotely (so when my wife F*%KS it up i can fix it or flash a snapshot) and can hopefully do some gaming to!

Also i do not have to annoy @Silas Mariusz any more about the rtorrent QPKG (big thanks to you would be lost without rtorrent)
Plus support for CP and Sonarr will be much better and stable on Windows or Ubuntu.

Thanks so much again..... as you can guess i will be back for more questions when i buy this unit

I have only 1 more question - what are the limitations if any between windows 10 Qnap VM and windows 10 on a NUC?

I'm so excited about VM's, it means i can sell my HTPC (NUC)
Why ?! Leave it - it best machine you could buy for TV ! Just think about it - NUC is passive in terms of temperatures , so put it behind TV and install KODI on it on top of existing windows installation, invest in some remote control (even this dumb kodi app on phone) and you do not want anything else !

KODI can be configured to use QNAP share via SMB/CIFS (usuall M$ solutions) and you have quiet living/bed-room!

HDMI output and all usb cables (how you gonna play without mouse and kboard ?) can be extended to another TV, with that you can leave wife on one device and have fun without problems (I'm lazy ;) ).

Also i do not have to annoy
1.gif
@Silas Mariusz any more about the rtorrent QPKG
Annoy him , he will create better app - just poke him from time to time :> :>

what are the limitations if any between windows 10 Qnap VM and windows 10 on a NUC?

This is Windows and this is Windows, some things are harder to configure on VM but uncle G00Gle still exists , rigth ?

Buy this NAS and show us some pics - maybe a little know-how or little report from configuration/migration from other devices ? I put some mine in forum.

• Lubię to
Reakcje: wacko37
I'm so excited about VM's, it means i can sell my HTPC (NUC)
Also i do not have to annoy
1.gif
@Silas Mariusz any more about the rtorrent QPKG
Annoy him , he will create better app - just poke him from time to time :> :>
No f****ing not :)
Instead me, you should bother pigers I think. Pigers is one of my best forum crew guy. He knows more than any others, in a past he was working in some SI company doing Microsoft stuff outsourcing, he's knowledge in Linux is more than good, and he was an employeer and manager in IBM. Please believe me, you can relay on his help. Pigers is one of more important guy here.

Support here is the best!!! I need to research this some more before i buy. But i will be back when i do.

BIG Thanks [USER = 4275] @pigers [/ USER] [USER = 1] @Silas Mariusz [/ USER]
@pigers I lied when i said i had only 1 more question:Loser:

I have searched for an answer but had no luck..... My questions is about the IR receiver.

1 - will i be able to use the IR receiver
In a VM?

2 - can i use the Logitech universal remote
@pigers and @Silas Mariusz

Hey Guys,

I have been in contact with Qnap Sales and they are struggling to give me a direct answer. Its very frustrating as i want to buy the TVS-1282 but i need answers!!!

So its time to ask the real experts.....

1 - how the USB passthrough works with a VM.
Is it true plug and play, If i plug my smartphone in will it show automatically in the VM, Can you explain this in detail,also they mentioned a compatibility list for USB devices. Where can that be found.

2 - how does audio passthrough on a qnap VM work? And if a GPU is installed will audio passthrough work on the GPU (GPU MSI Radeon R9 390X)

I hope you guys can help me again. I'm still trying to get all the answers i need before spend $5000 on a NAS.
I need to be 100% i can use a Qnap Windows VM the same as a Intel NUC PC without any added complications.

Thanks

• Lubię to
Reakcje: Silas Mariusz
1 - how the USB passthrough works with a VM.
WARNING: this info is few months old!!
KVM is limited to UHCI devices (no USB2 EHCI) - so when underlying QTS does not detect your device properly, it wont work properly with VM.If there's QNAP list of working devices, then it's for some reason. For example , my LUMIA 800 did not work properly, though never tested with my new Android phone.

2 - how does audio passthrough on a qnap VM work? And if a GPU is installed will audio passthrough work on the GPU (GPU MSI Radeon R9 390X)
My research say's it won't work, does QNAP have simple problem to insert device into NAS and check ?

Thanks @pigers for your replies

Regarding USB passthrough, if you plug a portable hdd into any usb port and it work correctly in QTS, will that device then be visible in all the running VM`s?

Im still in talks with Qnap sales and awaiting a response regarding audio passthrough.

• Lubię to
Reakcje: kaktus

Użytkownicy znaleźli tą stronę używając tych słów:

1. 1282