Shenyang
QNAP
TS-x79 Pro
Ethernet
1 GbE
TS-1079 Pro
Current firmware version: 4.3.6.0895 Date: 2019/03/28

I request the following to be considered and included for future updates:

All relevant network settings for rTorrent for example, "rTorrent - ArchWiki" should be included, so manual configuration would not be necessary and the user would have far more possibility's on hand.

What do you guys think about it ? :D

well - did you check if that wiki is up2date ?
Even if not, that was just one example. The real, up to date and possible settings for that combiled binary of rTorrent are in the hands of Mariusz. So, what would be better than to implement the possible configurations directly by him ?

Can we agree on this ?;)

All relevant network settings for rTorrent for example, "rTorrent - ArchWiki" should be included, so manual configuration would not be necessary and the user would have far more possibility's on hand.
I dont see there any "revelant network" settings. Is there anything special you would like to include in rtorrent-Pro settings panel?

I dont see there any "revelant network" settings. Is there anything special you would like to include in rtorrent-Pro settings panel?

Wow,

1. so i answered the other thread, some days ago, where somebody else also mentioned that all session based settings are lost, after a reboot.
2. I already mentioned there, that many settings that can be done in the regular GUI (That came anyway with the rtorrent package as a basic) are lost, once the NAS is restarted.

So its very clear and simple: Just include those settings without limiting possible ports that can be chosen, all settings like maximum open files, http sessions and all the parameters that are there to tweak rtorrent, that are lost, once the user session is ended.

Is that really so hard to do, so requests get ignored and we are asked again and again, what we are aiming at ?

Just wonder if it is a language based problem ?

Just include those settings without limiting possible ports that can be chosen, ...
Already in upcoming build.

all settings like maximum open files, http sessions
This is part of rtorrent.conf, please look at my capital letters note:
INI:
# DO NOT USE SOCKET SETTINGS ON QNAP
# Maximum number of connections rtorrent can accept/make (`sockets`)
#network.max_open_sockets.set = 999

# Maximum number of open files rtorrent can keep open (you have to modify the system wide settings with ulimit!) (`set_max_open_files`)
#network.max_open_files.set = 600

# Maximum number of simultaneous HTTP request (used by announce or scrape requests) Default: `32` (`set_max_open_http`)
#network.http.max_open.set = 99

all the parameters that are there to tweak rtorrent
There is network boost tweak ready to use by 1-click. This setting is all what you need and nothing else.

upload_2019-4-12_8-36-21.png

It adjust kernel parameters to download with higher speeds. @alladyn21 has reported to me that rtorrent-Pro was downloading:
- with maximum speed 25MB/s (200Mbit) when Network Boost was OFF
- with maximum speed 72MB/s (576Mbit) when Network Boost was ON

upload_2019-4-12_8-45-12.png

After a month of testing, I came to the following conclusions:

Network boost off ~ 25 mb/s for all tasks
Network boost on ~ 44mb/s for one task and more for a few tasks (52 mb/s max)

However, I have never managed to reach the maximum internet speed I have (not counting temporary jumps)

&&

I added a ssd disk for cache

We have increased the amount of RAM available to rTorrent to 2048mb

Well, after i never really get good throughput since i switched to rTorren Pro, i enabled Deluge again.

Wow, torrents that went stuck since days, using the same trackers, became active neraly immediately , more than 60 seeders connected...

Whats different ?

Ports are above 60000, max connection settings are 210, details i can configure here..

Now the download speed is already 2.8 MBits and its pulling from 60 seeds in parallel. Something my rTorrent never managed to do...

I have a 230 MBit Download and 40 MBit upload broadband connection.....

i remember that, before, i had downloads of around 60 Mbits quite often.

Another thing i recognized is: in rTorrent, everythign gets kind of stuck like every 60 seconds, then it takes a while and downloads recover. But they are never as fast and never from as many seeds in paralell as in Deluge.
In deluge, there are constantly downloads, once its started.

Rtorrent is not designed to be used on Public trackers. And is far away faster than Deluge.
If only i would have known and if only that would have been written clearly somewhere, before i purchased it..... hmmm

So in clear words, what you want to tell me is:

1. rTorrent will never be good downloading torrents, if one is using public trackers (Which i assume is 90% of p2p users) ?

And you also didn't read the details like the 60 seconds freeze of network activities that i have in rTorrent ?

I would have many seeders, but connections simply do not work. I am kind of aiming to the connection rules and settings.

As of current, i setup everything as proposed by you, i even shifted the ports to the high end, as it is working well in Deluge..
But, nope.....
upload_2019-4-13_15-7-49.png

public trackers are not good for anything - everyone just wants to download quickly, no one wants to share - the best solution is to get to the private tracker

in my case, rtorrent also can not use the max link and I do not know what it is caused

public trackers are not good for anything - everyone just wants to download quickly, no one wants to share - the best solution is to get to the private tracker

in my case, rtorrent also can not use the max link and I do not know what it is caused
Well, i have many seeders from China as well, most push 3 Mbit or mroe, or from Europe.. so i just pulled a 6 GB flick in less than 15 Minutes... with Deluge.. Never managed to do that in rTorrent

Just checked Deluge is downloading slower than rtorrent-Pro.
Just checking since days, my Deluge is downloading with an average of 6 MBit, rTorrent doesnt give me much more than some kBits since weeks..
I also figured that rTorrent only gets UDP connections at the DHT port, nearly never to the real transportation ports. That might play a big role...

I can confirm that rtorrent-Pro can handle more than 1 gig connections very easily. Of course for usage it with 10 gig connections there are needed some tweaks but to linux itself and not the router.

The limitation of bandwidth can be because of several reasons like a not enough resources for rtorrent itself, low speed HDD while paralel i/o sync operations, bad torrent seed availability, limitation because of home network router or issues with your ISP link to several Internet routes.

This is what I achieve with @Penerros (thank you) NAS:

What I did?
Set in the rtorrent-Pro settings:
- Enabled Network Boost
- Set memory limit: 4096MB

What I reached?
88MB/s DL speed.

upload_2019-4-19_12-7-50.png

Why not ~120MB/s?

Limitation for sure is:
upload_2019-4-19_13-43-50.png

upload_2019-4-19_13-44-18.png

upload_2019-4-19_13-45-56.png

This happen to rtorrent when it is flushing data to disk.

BTW:
Please read until the last line!
Hardware
No matter what operating system you choose, the machine you run on will determine the theoretical speed limit you can expect to achieve. When people talk about how fast a system is they always mention CPU clock speed. We would expect an AMD64 2.4GHz to run faster than a Pentium3 1.0 GHz, but CPU speed is not the key, motherboard bus speed is.

In terms of a firewall or bridge we are looking to move data through the system as fast as possible. This means we need to have a PCI bus that is able to move data quickly between network interfaces. To do this the machine must have a wide bus and high bus speed. CPU clock speed is a very minor part of the equation.

The quality of a network card is key to high throughput. As a very general rule, using the on-board network card is going to be much slower than an add in PCI or PCIe card. The reason is that most desktop motherboard manufacturers use cheap on-board network chip sets that use CPU processing time instead of handling TCP traffic by themselves. This leads to very slow network performance and high CPU load.

A gigabit network controller built on board using the CPU will slow the entire system down. More than likely the system will not even be able to sustain 100MB speeds while also pegging the CPU at 100%. A network controller that is able to negotiate as a gigabit is _very_ different from a controller that can transfer a gigabit of data per second.

1) https://calomel.org/network_performance.html
2) https://calomel.org/freebsd_network_tuning.html

Użytkownicy znaleźli tą stronę używając tych słów:

1. language rtorrent