wacko37

Passing Basics
Beginner
20 Styczeń 2014
QNAP
TS-x59 Pro II
Ethernet
40 GbE
If you where in the market for a Qnap with no budget, which would you get???

My usage.... basically this runs 24/7 will do all my downloading (rtorrent, Couchpotato, Sonarr etc) Linux Station is a must as its means i will no longer have to worry about outdated QPKGs (correct me if im wrong, my belief is that i can run all my downloading apps mentioned before in a linux environment?)
No more than 10 devices will be connected at once (tvs, Kodi HTPC, laptops etc) Min Storage 16tb+

I want the fastest most future proof device possible in Qnap current range.

Thanks, All advise is much appreciated

Hey @wacko37
you got the same question as my buddy at work.

My suggestion is at least QNAP TS-451 + 8 GB of RAM - powerful Intel CPU, lots of RAM, 4 bays for data, one hdmi output, what more you need ?
Skip Linux station - use virtualization station, it's imho better then complicated Lnx Station (veryyyy bad experience with it ..).

Put OS and VMs on SSD on bay #1. One crucial point, my VMs are small, they operate on data which is shared from QNAP, it's just operating system and few apps!
Rest of bays is up to you, RAID or single disks, friendly info - do not keep tv shows, movies on RAID - use single disk for it. Even if it breaks up , you can download them again, right ?

than
Hey @wacko37
you got the same question as my buddy at work.

My suggestion is at least QNAP TS-451 + 8 GB of RAM - powerful Intel CPU, lots of RAM, 4 bays for data, one hdmi output, what more you need ?
Skip Linux station - use virtualization station, it's imho better then complicated Lnx Station (veryyyy bad experience with it ..).

Put OS and VMs on SSD on bay #1. One crucial point, my VMs are small, they operate on data which is shared from QNAP, it's just operating system and few apps!
Rest of bays is up to you, RAID or single disks, friendly info - do not keep tv shows, movies on RAID - use single disk for it. Even if it breaks up , you can download them again, right ?

thanks for your reply, my main reason for Linux station is that there is no need to wait for QNAP OPKG's to be updated,
and then i can use linux versions which will be up to date and stable? Am i right in think this.

"My suggestion is at least QNAP TS-451" - what would be your MAX!

Honestly ? I almost do no use any apps from QNAP beside Backup, Virtualisation and QMail (early beta mail program, works nice so far ! ).
All my stuff is in QUbuntu and QWindows ;) - my OS QNAP can mess up, but I can easily recover VMs and run it on my PC (as last resort).

Why in Ubuntu not QNAP ? @Silas Mariusz will say that "I'm lazy" - that's true, I have setup apps like Sonarr and rtorrent in Ubuntu really fast and it's still working despite OS updates and not having issues with drivers like recent Q changes.

Another point to plus - snapshot's of VMs. QNAP cannot do that for system :p

For home and no rack sever ? I think of QNAP TVS-871 , then CPU swap to some nice XEON or cheap i7 unit (@Paweł Tołoczko topic with CPU swap) and RAM 16 GB.
Home and rack ? Some unit with 12 bays and i5 CPU and 8 GB of RAM. Maybe QNAP TVS-1271U-RP-i5-16G

And do not forget some UPS unit to it.

PS: I'm looking at PL shops , if there are other models not available in PL , then they also needs to be checked ;)

What are my conditions ?
  1. Number of bays - at least 2, 4 are nice.
  2. RAW CPU freq - higher the better ! Intel only
  3. At least 4 GB of RAM for start with virtualization.
  4. CPU core count - two is start , four is perfect, eight is fabulous
  5. Swappable RAM
  6. Swappable CPU
  7. Noise
  8. CPU burst range

Honestly ? I almost do no use any apps from QNAP beside Backup, Virtualisation and QMail (early beta mail program, works nice so far ! ).
All my stuff is in QUbuntu and QWindows ;) - my OS QNAP can mess up, but I can easily recover VMs and run it on my PC (as last resort).

Why in Ubuntu not QNAP ? @Silas Mariusz will say that "I'm lazy" - that's true, I have setup apps like Sonarr and rtorrent in Ubuntu really fast and it's still working despite OS updates and not having issues with drivers like recent Q changes.

Another point to plus - snapshot's of VMs. QNAP cannot do that for system :p

For home and no rack sever ? I think of QNAP TVS-871 , then CPU swap to some nice XEON or cheap i7 unit (@Paweł Tołoczko topic with CPU swap) and RAM 16 GB.
Home and rack ? Some unit with 12 bays and i5 CPU and 8 GB of RAM. Maybe QNAP TVS-1271U-RP-i5-16G

And do not forget some UPS unit to it.

PS: I'm looking at PL shops , if there are other models not available in PL , then they also needs to be checked ;)

What are my conditions ?
  1. Number of bays - at least 2, 4 are nice.
  2. RAW CPU freq - higher the better ! Intel only
  3. At least 4 GB of RAM for start with virtualization.
  4. CPU core count - two is start , four is perfect, eight is fabulous
  5. Swappable RAM
  6. Swappable CPU
  7. Noise
  8. CPU burst range

Thanks so much for your reply. You have answered all my questions on this one! Qnap software has been p[pissing me off alot lately with constant monitoring. Was not even aware i could run Qwindows and then snapshot brilliant.

Thanks again

• Lubię to
Reakcje: kaktus