Nowy użytkownik
Noobie
20 Listopad 2013
QNAP
TS-x69 Pro
Ethernet
1 GbE
Hello,
I'm a new rTorrent user. And I'm having some issues I hope someone can help me with. It's an old NAS so I don't expect any miracles.. And it's not 100% sure it's an rTorrent problem. But I can provide logs if you tell me which ones.

Model Name: TS-269 Pro
Firmware: 4.34.1190 Build 20200107
rTorrent version: 0.9.7-A229 29.Feb
VPN: OpenVPN client with QVPN service, and mapped tunnel to rTorrent in settings

Symptoms:
Random reboots multiple times per day. It seems to happen more frequently when I'm adding new torrents and downloading. When it's idle/seeding, it still happens, but less frequently (daily). When rTorrent qpkg is stopped, it's stable.

After the reboot the QNAP log tells me that the system did not shut down properly, prompting to do checkdisk, and the "Up-time timer" resets. Also sometimes rtorrent and plex doesn't start properly (need an additional reboot, which is fine, after a sudden reboot).

I suspected high cpu load, since the CPU does peak quite high when adding torrents. I also use plex sometimes, and if the plexplayer triggers the transcoder, it will load the cpu 100%, and I did not experience reboots with plex loading the CPU by itself. But I've had reboots while asleep and not using any of the services as well.

I also suspected a bad powersupply (even ordered a new one), but since the problem just disappeared after disabling rTorrent qpkg, I think the problem might be somewhere else.

I upgraded it some years ago to 3GB ram. (+one 2GB stick)
The setting is set to 2048MB in rtorrent.
I have been looking over the ram consumption, and I never observed it higher than 40-50%.

Do you think I should lower it, and retest?

Definitely.

I have been looking over the ram consumption, and I never observed it higher than 40-50%.
Memory usage in rtorrent-Pro means how many of maximum memory rtorrent may use.

What I meant was that the memory consumption (using the built in resource monitor) on the NAS is usually around 1GB of total 3GB. And maybe peaking at 1.3GB or so used memory. So in theory it should be plenty of ram left.

I lowered the "Memory usage" parameter in rtorrent to 640MB now. And I can leave it there for now, and update this forum thread if reboots occur again.

Thanks for the quick responses!
I did some searching and found this thread:
https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=103676

Basically, when RAM is upgraded, it doesn't always show memory utilization properly in the web gui, just what it came with stock. (it does show total memory correct though)

So I run this in SSH:
free | grep -v cache:

and it showed that my memory usage was almost 100%, even with rtorrent limited to 640MB. And now I even got a warning that my swap file was getting full.

Web gui was showing close to 1024MB utilization, which is what the NAS came with originally. And if I understand that forumthread correctly, the upgraded RAM won't be directly accessible for apps, so setting the rtorrent limit to 2048MB was a bad idea.

I will be running it at 640MB, and disable services other I don't need running.

So I guess you can put this thread to solved!