Pomoc Please recommend best disks setup for VM and ContainerStation and Torreting

Ondrej2005

Entry Technician
Q Associate
28 Wrzesień 2022
QNAP
null
Ethernet
1 GbE
Hi all,

I would like to ask the professionals here. How better to set up the entire NAS. I want to use it primarily as a classic storage server for data and DLNA server + NextCloud in Container Station. And then I want to have 2-5 active Virtual Machine stations for office work..

QNAP 1677U and 1680U =I only have this as a backup device, QTS firmware latest 5.0.1.2173.

And what's better:

1) perform the first initialization only with NVME and install the virtual station only on SSD NVME disks in raid0 - correction: NO RAID0 but RAID1, and then add a RAID5/6 disk array... with classic hard disks.

2) do the initialization exclusively with hard disks in raid5/6, where the system is saved and QNAP creates 5 disk partitions, and then add SSD NVME disks in raid0 where they will then be stored all virtual PCs on SSD.

3) SSD cache, is it suitable in this case? If I use virtualization, but the main image files of the VM will be stored on the NVME SSD? Or is it useless?

4) And the last question is. When I have created a virtual PC, and I want to move large data (video files) between the virtual PC and between the disk in the NAS, is there any way to map a folder (that I choose in advance) to the Virtual PC in which I will store large files, so that I don't have to move it via LAN inside the NAS?

Thank you very much.

Definitely best choice is 1)

I prefer to run system on SSD/NVMe disks and hosts all the apps there including VM images and dockers.

I additionally use separate single drive SSD drive for torrenting. However completed torrents are automatically moved into other location - RAID array on HDD disks.
So torrenting is quiet and fast enough. Once done its automaticlaly moved into the HDD pool.

I dont prefer SSD cache. SSD cache is fine when there is a office and people are working on same document files. Otherwise it makes no sens when torrenting or multimedia stuff.

4) And the last question is. When I have created a virtual PC, and I want to move large data (video files) between the virtual PC and between the disk in the NAS, is there any way to map a folder (that I choose in advance) to the Virtual PC in which I will store large files, so that I don't have to move it via LAN inside the NAS?
Just make sure all VM are bridged and simply map Samba folders. There is no better way.
Połączono posty:

Here is sample of my setup for home usage without RAID for data store.
I use RAID only for VM/Containers

OBZdGJM.png

• Lubię to
Reakcje: Ondrej2005
Thank you,

So we will choose option 1). I will do the initialization today.
And then, after the entire initialization, I insert the disks and create a disk array from ordinary hard disks.

Correction in the first post I meant not RAID0 but raid1....I hope both NVME SSDs will not die at the same time in RAID1. I would lose all the system files stored there by QNAP incl. system.

@Silas Mariusz Just make sure all VM are bridged and simply map Samba folders. There is no better way.
.. I'll make sure. And I will try. My point is not to burden the 1GBit LAN (copy 115MB/s). But I would like to use the full speed of the NAS (disk array) copy mean ..500-1000MB/s