Passing Basics
Beginner
1 Listopad 2015
QNAP
TS-x53
Ethernet
1 GbE
Hi,
Is binding an IP address in rtorrent only available in the Pro version? Im still using the free version but i recently subscribed to a VPN and wanted to allow rtorrent to use it. I have added the VPN details in QVPN but no idea how to make rtorrent use that connection as torrent checking websites still shows my normal IP.
I have no problem paying for Pro but i want to know how to do it first. I see mentions of Binding IP interface list, where is this located?

Thanks,

Firmware version: 4.3.4.0695 Build 30/08/2018
Model name: QNAP TS-253 Pro

23979.png

Thats not good anyway.
IP reported is Ransom IT VPS provider???
No.
Rtorrent is doing something like "whatismyip" using this VPN tunnel, and that IP is reporting to the tracker.

What about this VPN Public IP. Is it changing? How often?

Fixed it in the end of going through some pain. Was a mix of app issues since I moved everything to rdownload folder along with vpn that gave mixed signals. Reinstalled fresh the app and tested out PIA vpn which allows port forwarding. Not static port though which is annoying.

Thanks for the help mate!

May I know what you mean? I really dont understand. Please help me find out what was that issue. And BTW: PIA is really not recommended.
Sure. Well with the uploading problem it was a port forwarding issue. VPN + Torrents is new for me so had to work out how that all works. In the end ditched the trial surfshark as they do not support port forwarding.

By that stage rTorrent was behaving very weird. Each time the VPN was on, a few seconds later the rTorrent webpage was not available, VPN was not set to be the default gateway (which shouldn't matter anyway), app restarted, qnap restarted still the same issue. Disconnecting VPN brought it back.
This was after I migrated some settings from download folder to rdownload folder. This may not be the direct problem thought as I was fiddling around with the port forwarding earlier on. Reinstalled the app in the end and working nicely since.

Went with PIA because:
1. They have port forwarding, even though it is dynamic which is a pain in the ass
2. They support Australian foxtel streaming if I am travelling
3. Good price

Very hard to find a provider with all 3. The port forwarding usually makes the price jump.
Why are they not recommended? Lot's of good reviews out there and widely used. Keen to hear your side please.
Thanks