Passing Basics
Beginner
1 Listopad 2015
QNAP
TS-x53
Ethernet
1 GbE
Hi,
Is binding an IP address in rtorrent only available in the Pro version? Im still using the free version but i recently subscribed to a VPN and wanted to allow rtorrent to use it. I have added the VPN details in QVPN but no idea how to make rtorrent use that connection as torrent checking websites still shows my normal IP.
I have no problem paying for Pro but i want to know how to do it first. I see mentions of Binding IP interface list, where is this located?

Thanks,

Firmware version: 4.3.4.0695 Build 30/08/2018
Model name: QNAP TS-253 Pro

Thanks, i bought rtorrent pro. I have selected the VPN IP in the interface list and restarted rtorrent but it doesnt look like traffic is going through the VPN. I have tried with 2 test torrents and my real IP is reported. Is there anything i can try?

On Check your torrent IP and ipleak.net both sites allow you to download a torrent and it shows you the connected IP. Both sites report my real IP. I also downloaded a proper torrent and the data transfer amounts reported in qvpn did not change significantly when it was a 2GB torrent

Hi,
After a lot of messing around i seem to have got it working on 0.9.6. I had to uninstall 0.9.7 and then install 0.9.6, then start and stop rtorrent which then allowed me to chose the VPN from the interface list and although it still shows my real IP in rtorrent UI the VPN IP is reported to the tracker according to the 2 websites i listed above when testing

Hi, looking into having vpn on my nas but only used for rtorrent traffic.
Not keen on having any personal data going through a 3rd party VPN provider.
Is this what you have set it up for Alex? If so can you provide the setup on the VPN side and the rtorrent site you are using? I dont have the pro version either so a bit blind on how this will work.
Thanks

I would be happy to test also as I have the same issue. Let me know if I can be of assistance.
I would be happy to test also as I have the same issue. Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Is there a particular location where the 0.9.7 RC3 can be downloaded for testing of the VPN issue ?

rtorrent 0.9.7 RC3
Hi Can you please advise how this new VPN feature works? Cannot find much information about it. What I want to do is I set the openvpn client on qnap to not use the default gateway on the network. This way nothing on my NAS is routed via VPN as some apps do not work on the VPN properly.
Then I am hoping this feature somehow allows to torrents to connect to VPN. Is this right?
Thanks

You have to use QVPN to create tunnel. Then in rtorrent-Pro settings choose available tunnel.
So I paid for Pro and installed it. it upgraded the free version I had. In the settings I do not see anywhere VPN binding option. Is there a possible issue or I am not looking correctly??
Thanks

Go to the main panel before selecting User Interface type. In a right top corner there is a setting button.
wow after all these years I've been manually changing the settings displayed in here via ssh since I didn't know this settings page exited! Lol silly me. Thanks for this!
No longer is my IP being reported, only my VPN thanks to you!
For some reason though torrentday is now reporting two different IP's. Only is my VPN provider (surfshark) the other I am not sure of. Never seen this before. Only until the new rtorrent version. Anything else I need to be setting up?

IP reported is Ransom IT VPS provider???

Thanks
My uploads seem to have stopped now too :(

upload_2019-7-21_8-5-7.png

Thats not good anyway.
IP reported is Ransom IT VPS provider???
No.
Rtorrent is doing something like "whatismyip" using this VPN tunnel, and that IP is reporting to the tracker.

What about this VPN Public IP. Is it changing? How often?