Pomoc rTorrent not taking my openVPN client into account ?

iomgui

Nowy użytkownik
Noobie
8 Styczeń 2020
QNAP
TS-x53
Ethernet
1 GbE
First of all, my VPN provider is not the issue, as i have setup the client and it works well with downloadstation, though i bought rtorrent for a better client. I dont want to loose privacy ...

Here is what i tried :
option 1 : linking my vpnclient to Gateway + using Gateway in rtorrent settings ==> when the vpn is connected, the vpn is ignored and all traffic is from my real ip ...
option 2 : linking my vpnclient to Gateway + using my vpnclient IP in settings ==> same problem as above. I thought i had no traffic but it was because rtorrent was in await mode and ui wasnt refreshed yet (see second problem hereafter)

What i am missing ? How should i configure rtorrent so that it uses my VPN client and stops all traffic as soon as my vpn connection is closed

(if you ask how i know then than my vpn is ignored, because of problem 2, its because the DL speed match my Internet provider and way too big for my VPN provider) The worst thing is that when i use option 2 rtorrent UI says he s using the Tunel VPN ... and it s not using it ...

Second problem, when i have a workin internet connexion, even without vpn, the Following sites with their magnet trackes doesnt work with rtorrent (they work with downloadstation i just checked again) :
torguard.net
checkmyip.torrentprivacy.com
The web ip checker never see any demand for that torrent ...

Firmware version: 4.4.1.1146 Build
Model name: QNAP 653B

i also tried option 3 : my vpnclient is not linked as my default Gateway + using my vpnclient in settings (which shows the correct ip adress of my vpn provider). Of course i save the changes ==> same result as before my vpnclient is bypassed and my real ip is used ...

Also when i tried again torguard.net, i got this error message in the rtorrent ui : link to XMLRPC failed. Though i dont systematicly get this error when i stop and restart the DL link for the IP tracker ...

STEP BY STEP!

1. I have added VPN profiles and didnt set to use them as Default gateway
upload_2020-1-8_9-48-42.png

2. In the next step I opened rtorrent-Pro settings and selected one of VPN's interfaces from the bind list
upload_2020-1-8_9-51-49.png

3. Then I wait 2 minutes to make sure new settings was applied.
upload_2020-1-8_9-56-14.png

4. Once I see new IP in rtorrent-Pro interface Im going to open Check your torrent IP
And?
Voila!
upload_2020-1-8_9-58-13.png

Many thanks for your answer.
I can guarantee you the method you explained has already been tried without success ...
I also disabled IPV6 ...

Also when my vpn client is set as default Gateway, it should be impossible for rtorrent to connect to internet if i shut down the vpn client right ? well, it does connect even if my default Gateway is set as VPN client and the VPN client is off ...

What can i provide you as information or Screenshot ?
Do you want me to make a complete reinit / reinstall of the nas before (so far i havent deleted my old HDD so i can do it) ?

Also thanks for confirming i should be able to use torrent ip tracker ... so its another problem only on my side ...
also when i choose flood UI it open a browser but empty ... is it normal ?
By chance, do you have the MD5 checksum of rtorrent_0.9.7-0912-190912_x86_64.qpkg perhaps i should check it also ?
Do you need my qnapclub credentials ?
Also i made the test again i can confirm you that rtorrent display my VPN IP adress but download using my real ip adress (Simply because my vpn isnt available at 20Mo / s ... as the ip checking is still not working )
Something is very odd ... i m making a complete reinstall, i had other problems with the qnap (like qfinderpro finding it in USB quickaccess but Windows failing to execute qfinderpro request to open the ip over thunderbolt connection, with 3 different cables, 2 being 40Gbps video certified ...).
I would very much appreciate a md5 of the qkpg though to eliminate a file problem on rtorrent (as DS is working fine with VPN client)

md5 is checked during installation.
There is no need to check it.

You have to make sure page Check your torrent IP will return you correct VPN IP address for downloaded torrent.

Let me explain you something.
Pokaż załącznik 24868
See this IP address?
Do you know why you see this IP? Because rtorrent-Pro successfully retrieved outgoing IP address using one of these services:
Which means your traffic goes through this tunnel.

There is no magic with VPN. What rtorrent-Pro do is simply binding interface to selected VPN and it is listening to this interface. Once VPN interface is bind to rtorrent-Pro it tries to retriev its outgoing IP address and report this IP to the tracker and display in the UI on a bottom bar.
So it works.

I do Believe you, it must have been because i didnt waited enough for the UI to refresh ...
I had other problem like file sometimes not readable but HDD not corrupted ... thats why i m reinstalling now...

When VPN client is disconnected (and VPN client is not the default Gateway of the NAS), what is the expected behavior of rtorrent if this same Tunnel VPN was selected in settings ? No more connection ? or it shift to the available internet connection that has no privacy, even if it was specified in settings to use the VPN client ?
And again many thanks for your support

If you disconnect it manually from QVPN service panel:
upload_2020-1-8_11-33-39.png

This will happen:
Kod:
(11:27:36) Bind IP: Current interface IPv4addr: 10.120.76.5 (tun)
(11:27:46) Bind IP: Current interface IPv4addr: 217.2.234.1 (default)
It will fallback to default interface.

If you will connect this tunnel again it will automatically find it and will revert back to VPN tun.

Just keep VPN connection not disconnected.

Thanks again, is there a way to prevent this fall back (Something like the behavior of download station, if VPN connection is lost then no other connection is established, it doesnt swicth to any other interface) ?
Or will it be possible in a future version ?

Ok i will test what happens if for any Reason the vpn provider is not reachable or close the connection or you temporary loose your main internete connection ... in couple of hours after reinstall / recheck. Or in couple days if i need to rma the qnap xd